What is acid reflux?
The esophagus connects the mouth with the stomach and it has acid which is necessary to digest food. The lower esophageal sphincter is a ring at the bottom of the esophagus, where the stomach meets the esophagus. This ring closes the opening that links the esophagus and stomach to prevent any acid from splashing back into the esophagus. The stomach is made for carrying some amount of acid, but the esophagus is sensitive and acid touching it would cause pain and damage. Acid reflux can happen due to certain triggers and also when the lower esophageal sphincter is not functioning well. Refluxmd is a dedicated information source for acid reflux and can provide more details on it.
Acid Reflux Home Treatment Remedies
Acid reflux can be managed or reduced through home remedies. It is a common problem but does not affect the lifespan of a human. Lifestyle and diet go a long way in managing acid reflux. Certain foods cause acid reflux symptoms and are known as triggers. These triggers must be avoided or taken in limited quantities to manage acid reflux. Known triggers for an acid reflux are:
- Citrus fruit or juices like orange or grapefruit have a high acid content that would aggravate the stomach more.
- Tomatoes, raw or in the form of sauce and juice are highly acidic.
- Coffee and caffeinated drinks, with or without caffeine, can relax the lower esophageal sphincter and cause an acid reflux.
- Chocolate has a chemical called methylxanthine, which is similar to caffeine. This relaxes the LES leading to an acid reflux.
- Spicy and fatty food can inflame the stomach more and delay its emptying.
- Carbonated drinks can cause bloating that increases the chances of an acid reflux.
There are food items that are opposite of the triggers. Triggers aggravate inflammation of the stomach and acidity, whereas some foods calm the stomach and are alkaline based that neutralize stomach acid. There are foods that control and manage acid reflux. There are also those items that relieve heartburn, a common symptom of acid reflux. Following are food options in case of an acid reflux problem:
- Ginger - naturally good for the stomach it helps in managing acid reflux.
- Grains and potatoes - research says that grain and potatoes lower the risk of GERD.
- Oatmeal - has a lot of fiber and lowers the risk of an acid reflux by absorbing the acid.
- Green vegetables - Low in fat, sugar and acids, green vegetables like beans, spinach, celery etc. are good for the stomach when suffering from GERD.
The above paragraphs talked about the diet to manage acid reflux from home. There are a few lifestyle changes that can bring immense relief. These changes are simple and can make the symptoms of acid reflux manageable. Try to do the following activities that lessen the discomfort and sometimes even the onset of acid reflux.
- Staying upright or walking for some time after meals.
- Chewing gum that is mint free, to avoid chances of a reflux.
- Eating more than two hours before bedtime.
- Using wedge pillows to support and elevate the head while sleeping.
- Putting a stop to smoking and drinking.
The above mentioned simple tips and tricks can help one in managing acid reflux easily. Refluxmd further details the ways in which acid reflux or GERD can be managed.
Original source : https://refluxmd.blogspot.com/2018/12/home-remedies-for-acid-reflux.html