There is no doubt that Microsoft wants its users to use everything of Microsoft. Whenever you use Cortana to search web, Microsoft Edge will open, and Bing is used for searching. If you are fond of Cortana but do not like Bing and Edge, then you can make Cortana use Chrome in the place of Bing.
The Basics of Cortana Search
Earlier versions of Windows used to have a search bar in the Start menu. Tapping Windows key or pressing Start button would put cursor automatically in the search box. In Windows 10, search box became Cortana and is placed in the Taskbar. You can always disable Cortana if you do not like it. To display Cortana icon on taskbar at the place of Cortana search box. Click right on any empty area and head over to Cortana>Show Cortana icon. You can also select hidden option from menu to hide Cortana. Now you will see Cortana icon on taskbar. When you tap Cortana icon, you will be shown three buttons.
- Find results in the applications.
- Find results in the documents.
- Find the results in the Internet.
- Tap Find results in web button.
- Click result under “Best match for the web.”
- Microsoft Edge is opened.
- Bing is used for searching web.
- Results will be displayed.
How to Shift Default Browser to Chrome or FireFox
First thing that can be done is to make Cortana use Google Search in Chrome or Firefox at the place of Bing is to change the default browser. When you install major update to Windows 10, Microsoft Edge is being set as the default browser. For changing default browser back to what you want then, so the following
- Open Cortana and enter default browser.
- Tap Select a default web browser under Best match.
- Tap on box below Web Browser.
- It will probably read Microsoft Edge.
- Choose either Google Chrome or Firefox as per your choice from the Select an app pop-up list.
- Tap X button in upper right corner of window for closing settings app.
How to Make Cortana Use Google Chrome or Firefox instead of Edge
Even if you have changed default browser, Cortana will still open Microsoft Edge to show web search results.Cortana take use of a unique Uniform Resource Identifier to mask normal URLs so they only open in Edge. You will require to install a free tool such as EdgeDeflector that will make Cortana to open your chosen default browser at the place of edge.
- Just launch Download Edge Deflector and double click downloaded .exe file.
- Tap yes to continue the process.
- On Edge Deflector Installer Setup, accept default Destination Folder.
- Tap Install now.
- Once the installation is completed, tap on Close.
- Simply perform a web search with the help of Cortana to use EdgeDeflector.
- You will see a dialogue box, Tap EdgeDeflector in list.
- If you want option of using Edge sometimes then just uncheck Always use this app.
- Now tap OK.
- Now you have gotten Cortana to open default browser at place of Edge.
Jack Tucker is a Microsoft Office expert and has been working in the technical industry from last 10 year. As a technical expert, he has written technical blogs, manuals, white papers, and reviews for many websites such as www.office.com/setup.Source : https://office-setup.co/how-to-change-cortanas-default-search-engine/