Delicious Rich Chocolate Leaf Gateau Recipe.
Serves 8 people
- 75g / 3oz plain dark chocolate, broken into squares
- 150ml/ ¼ pint/%3 cup milk
- 175g / 6oz / ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 250g / 9oz / 1 1/3 cups light muscovado sugar 3 eggs
- 250g/9oz / 2 ¼ cups plain flour
- 10ml/ 2 tsp baking powder
- 75ml/ 5 tbsp single cream
FOR THE FILLING AND TOPPING
- 60ml / 4 tbsp raspberry conserve 1 quantity Chocolate Ganache dark and white chocolate leaves
- Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5. Grease and base-line two 22 cm/8 ½ in sandwich cake tins. Melt the chocolate with the milk over a low heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Cream the butter with the light muscovado sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift the flour and baking powder over the mixture and fold in gently but thoroughly. Stir in the chocolate mixture and the cream, mixing until smooth. Divide between the prepared tins and level the tops.
- Bake the cakes for 30-35 minutes or until they are well risen and firm to the touch. Cool in the tins for a few minutes, then turn out on to wire racks.
- Sandwich the cake layers together with the raspberry conserve. Spread the chocolate ganache over the cake and swirl with a knife. Place the cake on a serving plate, then decorate with the chocolate leaves.