Delicious Vegan Chocolate Gateau Cake Recipe.
Serves 8-10 people
- 275g / 10oz/ 2 ½ cups self-raising wholemeal flour
- 50g / 2oz / ½ cup cocoa powder
- 45ml / 3 tbsp baking powder
- 225g / 8oz / 1 ¼ cups caster sugar few drops of vanilla essence
- 135ml /9 tbsp sunflower oil
- 350ml / 12.ft oz/ 1 ½ cups water sifted cocoa powder, for sprinkling
- 25g/ 1oz / ¼ cup chopped nuts, to decorate
FOR THE CHOCOLATE FUDGE
- 50g / 2oz/ ¼ cup vegan (soya) margarine
- 45ml / 3 tbsp water
- 250g/9oz/ 2 cups icing sugar
- 30ml / 2 tbsp cocoa powder I
- 5-30ml / 1-2 tbsp hot water
- Preheat oven to 160°C/325°F/Gas 3. Grease a deep 20 cm/8 in round cake tin, line with non-stick baking paper and grease the paper lightly with a little sunflower oil.
- Sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Add the caster sugar and vanilla essence, then gradually beat in the sunflower oil. Add the water in the same way, beating constantly to produce a smooth mixture with the consistency of a thick batter.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the surface with the back of a spoon.
- Bake the cake for about 45 minutes or until a cake tester or fine metal skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven but leave in the tin for about 5 minutes, before turning out on to a wire rack. Peel off the lining paper and leave to cool. Cut the cake in half to make two equal layers.
- Make the chocolate fudge. Place the margarine and water in a pan and heat gently until the margarine has melted. Remove from the heat and add the sifted icing sugar and cocoa powder, beating until shiny, adding more hot water if needed. Pour into a bowl and cool until firm enough to spread and pipe.
- Place the bottom layer of the cake on a serving plate and spread over two-thirds of the chocolate fudge mixture. Top with the other layer. Fit a piping bag with a star nozzle, fill with the remaining chocolate fudge and pipe stars over the cake. Sprinkle with cocoa powder and decorate with the chopped nuts.